Strengthening inclusive education in the Maghreb region: the UMEI project
UMEI: "Universités du Maghreb: Enseignement Inclusif" (Maghreb Universities: Inclusive Education), is a project funded by the European Commission with the objective of improving the access to universities in the Maghreb for three target groups of students with special needs (related to economic insecurity, geographical origin or disability).
UMEI is aimed at the creation and implementation, within universities, of an Assistance Unit of Awareness, Support and Mediation (CASAM), which will support students with special needs (related to economic insecurity, geographical origin or disability) so they get to go to college and/or continue their studies.
Existing analysis in the three Maghreb countries (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia) show, with some nuances, that access to higher education poses real difficulties for students targeted in this project. The number of students with disabilities enrolled in Maghreb universities does not exceed 2%. Students from rural backgrounds are underrepresented (less than 6%), especially among girls. And many students experience real integration difficulties. Similarly, the conditions of poverty faced by students of a third category have a crucial impact on their academic career.
Some of the activities of the Project will be seminars and ‘in situ’ visits. The main purpose of the seminars (spaces for academic debate) is to achieve a transfer of knowledge and skills of European partners specialized in the field, to the CASAM officers. The ‘in situ’ visits will take place after the first year of reflection and analysis and will allow the future CASAM officers to deepen their knowledge and enhance their skills. They will be invited to three trainings in different centers of excellence in Europe.
Erasmus Student Network is part of the Quality Assurance team aiming at bringing the student perspective to the study.
- Erasmushogeschool Brussel (Coordinator)
- UNICA (BE)
- Université Abdelmalek Essaâdi (MA)
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel (BE) - UNICA member university
- Erasmus Student Network (BE)
- Universidad de Santiago de Compostela (ES)
- Compostela Group (ES)
- Université Paul-Valéry (Montpellier III) (FR)
- European Access Network (UK)
- Fontys / Opleidingscentrum Speciale Onderwijszorg (NL)
- Comenius University Bratislava (SK) - UNICA member university
- Université Hassan II Mohammedia Casabalanca (MA)
- Université Ibn Zohr (MA)
- Association de Développement Local Méditerranéen (MA)
- Association Louis Braille, Tétouan (MA)
- Université de Sousse (MA)
- Université de Sfax (MA)
- Université Mentouri Constantine (AL)
- Univérsité de Béjaïa (AL)
- Université Aboubekr Belkaid (AL)